Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nicholas' Birthday



Nicholas came into the world by c-section on a cold December morning.

I was sad I got to miss out on a traditional birth, but the surgery had its benefits (besides not dying in childbirth): for one, my husband became an expert dad because I was slow moving the first few days. He knew how to change diapers better than I did when we got home from the hospital. And swaddling? Hey, that's just like wrapping a burrito.

The first day he was born, Nicholas met Grandma Gail, Aunt Kristina, "Auntie" Katie, Grandpa Ed & Grandma Carol, Uncle Chris, and Granddad Boyd. The next day he spent more time with his relatives and Uncle Mark and Aunt Michelle stopped by.

Surprises: One of the first things I noticed about him was his dimple (inherited from me!)--I was so happy to recognize both me and my husband in his face--it was amazing that we made someone so beautiful and perfect. I also could not believe how much hair he had (business in the front, party in the back). His feet were so big already that he didn't fit in any baby booties! It looks like we've got a bigfoot artifact in his baby book.